17 December 2012

My favourite reads of 2012

Why not? All other book reviewers and other pundits do it at this time of the year. So here are my eight favourite novels of this year. I shall not wax lyrical here. Either I have already done so or I don't want you to feel under any pressure so shall leave you to make your own minds up. Suffice to say loved them all for very different reasons, but when push comes to shove, it's always about the quality of the writing, the voice, the characterisation or the emotions they evoke.

I have listed them in random order (although if I did have to choose one it would be The Light Between Oceans. I have linked them to their Amazon pages for no other reason than laziness on my part and your ease of reference. I wish we could all buy our books from independent bookshops presided over by helpful and knowledgeable staff.

I have already read one novel - by a favourite author of mine - not published until next year but will certainly be featured here - when I am allowed to do so.

THE CLEANER OF CHARTRES: Salley Vickers




ELIJAH'S MERMAID by Essie Fox



THE UNLIKELY PILGRIMAGE OF HAROLD FRY: Rachel Joyce



THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS: M L Stedman



THE MIDWIFE'S DAUGHTER:  Patricia Ferguson



THE COLOUR OF MILK: Nell Leyshon



SHE WORE ONLY WHITE: Dorthe Binkert



ALICE: Judith Hermann


 (PS. I've just noticed that five out of the eight are historical novels. You won't be surprised.)




3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed looking through your choices, Sally. I loved The Colour of Milk and Harold Fry too.
    I'm hoping to start The Cleaner of Chartres soon and really looking forward to it.
    I also loved The Lighthouse by Alison Moore this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love posts like this. It's always intresting to see what books people recommend. I'll be checking some of those out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that! I have Elijah's Mermaid on my TBR pile, and read The Colour of Milk on a plane over the Atlantic in August. I'll no doubt buy some of the others too - have enjoyed Salley Vickers in the past and the Harold Fry novel sounds so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete