06 February 2013

In two minds about King Richard III


I know this has nothing to do with writing or reading (well only tangentially) , but I have to declare my mixed loyalties as to where Richard's kingly remains should be re-interred.

Half of me says Leicester. After all, I was born there, although I only lived in the city until I was 6 months old. My dad was educated at Alderman Newton's Boys' School next door in the 1930s. And it's in the school's now empty premises where a dedicated museum is planned. Not only that, but my forbears on both my mother's and father's sides are Leicester people through and through.

Thirty years ago, I moved to Yorkshire - North Yorkshire to be precise - and soon became a fervent cheerleader for my adopted county. Just like Richard himself. York is a splendid city and it feels right to me that he should be buried in state there within its mighty Minster. Leicester Cathedral does not have an ancient foundation like York. And Richard wanted to be buried there. So it has to be York...

...or perhaps Leicester. Oh heck, I don't know.

Thank goodness, I don't have to make the decision. But, all this bickering over the poor man is unseemly. So let's get it done sooner rather than later and with dignity. And wherever he lies, I will be there with a white rose.



(PS. Anyone who still believes he murdered those poor princes, needs to be re-educated as to the nasty piece of work Henry VII was in particular and the manipulative ways of all the Tudors in general. I've never been a fan.)

5 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more with your PS. Have you ever read The Daughter of Time by the wonderful Josephine Tey?

    Sue C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another vote for York and a boo for Henry VII. (And I'm another who fell for Richard after reading Josephine Tey's book!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a white rose girl myself, Sally. Has to be York for me and he wanted to be there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree about the twins. That particular incident had henry Tudor's name written all over it. Personally I would say he should be re-interred in York a) because it would appear that that is what he wanted and b) it was "Richard of York" that "gave battle in vain."

    ReplyDelete